Friday, 19 June 2015

Parents vs. Privacy?

Are parents invading their kids privacy when they post pictures and videos of them on social media?

To me, it would depend on the picture/video.

If there was a video of me at something like the school talent show, that might be fine.
If my mother somehow got a video of me singing, that would be a problem.

I think that the parent should at least ask the child if they could post the picture/video on social media. Unless not posting it would harm one of the two parties.

For the second one, let's give a scenario. Jen's mom found a video of Jen saying that she was really depressed because of bullies, and school, and stuff like that. I won't go into too much detail, but Jen's mom found it a big deal. She didn't want anything to happen to Jen. So, she posted it on Facebook.

Jen's mom didn't ask Jen if it was okay, but she thought that Jen needed help. If Jen's mom had asked, Jen would most definitely said "no". But, because she didn't, and she followed her gut, Jen got the help she needed.

That is, in my mind, one of the few cases in which it would be okay to post something of your kids on social media.



But, that's just parents. What about friends or siblings who do some of the same things?

That's just a thought. I'll probably be making a post about it soon, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment